The Bazzechi collection includes about 3,550 photographs (in the form of glass plates, films and prints) taken by the Aretine photographer Ivo Bazzechi between 1955 and 1971. These images document the instrument collections of the former Istituto e Museo di Storia della Scienza (presently Museo Galileo) and the activities of studies and research it supported.
The original core of the collection, donated by Andrea Bazzechi at the beginning of 1980s, consists of more than a thousand negatives on glass plates, about 1,000 films (negatives and slides) and 1,300 prints. A hundred glass negatives made by the Barsotti photographic laboratory, several plates from the first few decades of the 20th century, as well as some wet collodion negative plates presumably dating back to the years between 1860 and 1890 are also part of the collection. Bazzechi used both the Barsotti glasses and the other plates for further shootings, mainly made by working with the original negatives, and for producing new prints with his logo.
Many of these photographs were published in volumes and catalogues edited by the IMSS or illustrated the essays by Andrea Corsini, first director of the IMSS, and by his successor, Maria Luisa Righini Bonelli.
All materials have been catalogued and are accessibile in the digital format.
search the iconographic archive
Related Resources (PDF)