The exhibition illustrates the history of the Accademia dei Lincei from its foundation in 1603 on the initiative of Prince Federico Cesi until its re-formation in 1946. Manuscripts, printed books, engravings, scientific instruments, and unpublished documentation from the archives of the Accademia dei Lincei bear witness to the Academy’s activity and its role in 17th-century European culture. The exhibition also highlights the Academy’s inclination towards a radical renewal of knowledge. The Istituto e Museo di Storia della Scienza organised the part devoted to Galileo and his instrument which was named “the telescope” by Prince Cesi himself. The Accademia dei Lincei supported the struggle of the Tuscan scientist against representatives of traditional culture and later on against the hostility of Catholic authorities. It also promoted and published Istoria e dimostrazioni intorno alle macchie solari in 1613 and Il Saggiatore in 1623.
|13.12.1991 - 08.01.1992||Paris, Fondation Dosne-Thiers|
|(L’Accademia dei Lincei et la culture européenne au XVIIe siècle)|
|10.02.1992 - 25.02.1992||Rome, Accademia Nazionale dei Lincei|