The Museo Galileo is one of the foremost international institutions in the History of Science, combining a noted museum of scientific instruments and an institute dedicated to the research, documentation and dissemination of the history of science in the broadest senses.
The museum, the specialized library, the archives, the multimedia, photographic and restoration laboratories provide an integrated whole in the service of disseminating scientific culture, capitalizing on Italy's technical/scientific heritage, while continuously updating research in the history of science and technology.
Since its foundation on May 12, 1927 (R.D. no. 1060 ) the IMSS has been an Incorporated Body. According to the current Statute (2021) the Board of Directors includes representatives from the Ministry of University and Research, from the Ministry of Cultural Heritage, from the University of Florence and from the Municipality of Florence. It receives operating funding from the Ministry of Cultural Heritage (Law 534/1996), from the Ministry of University and Research (Law 6/2000) and from the Region of Tuscany (L.R. 21/2010). Its special projects are sponsored by public and private agencies. It also receives continuous support for its activities from the Fondazione CR Firenze.
Since 2012 the Museo Galileo obtained the recognition of “Museum of Regional Relevance” from the Tuscan Region.