Visitors are allowed to take photographs – without using a flash, tripod or selfie stick - within the museum halls. Photos and videos made by visitors inside the museum can be used solely for personal and non-commercial uses.
Authorization is necessary for commercial filming and photography and for the reproduction of photographic material belonging to the Museo Galileo. Requests must be submitted using the appropriate forms.
Requests for printed works and manuscripts must be sent to the reproduction service of the Library.
Regulations for the Request and Use of Images from Museo Galileo’s Photographic Archives
- Authorization is subject to evaluation of the requested use of the images, advanced payment for the rights of reproduction and for all of the expenses inquired by Museo Galileo to create the requested images.
- Permission for the reproduction is dependent upon the full acceptance of the following conditions and can be revoked at anytime in the event that these conditions are not met or respected.
- Any unauthorized use of or infraction with regards to the written acts will be considered to be unlawful.
- Public institutions or reproduction for activities related to a scientific nature that are non-profit in nature may request that the fees be waived. Required fees may also be exempt from private parties that use the images for the sole purpose of academic studies that are of a non-profit nature.
- Payment should be made in Euro and paid in advanced by bank transfer (bonifico bancario) or by PayPal. Permission will only be granted after the fees have been paid in full.
- The authorization is only valid for one edition and is exclusively reserved for the object requested, every reprint, future editions or re-elaborations of the material requires a new request and a new authorization.
- All material and relative rights are exclusive property of Museo Galileo. The permission granted never allows for the transfer of materials or rights or exclusions with regards to the written act of authorization.
- The images furnished should not be utilized for the scope of public advertising or marketing of promotional material (posters, fliers or similar items) without the expressive authorization of Museo Galileo.
- During the reproduction process the image cannot be modified or altered without the expressive authorization of Museo Galileo. If even a small part of the image is utilized this should also be identified and cleared by the museum.
- Authorization to publish an image is not transferable to third parties unless special permission has been granted by Museo Galileo in advance.
- At least one copy of the publication (either in written, paper form or digital format) for which the material was requested and authorized for should be sent to Museo Galileo’s Library.
- All copyrights and sources of the images must be properly cited.
Fees for the Use of Images from Museo Galileo’s Photographic Archives
These fees are exempt from the IVA tax (art. 10 DPR 633/72 punto 22)
|Press Run||1-4.000||4.001-10.000||More than 10.000|
|Color||82,00 €||102,00 €||122,00 €|
|Black/White||52,00 €||72,00 €||92,00 €|
Shipping fees are not included in the above fees.
There is an additional 10 Euro fee for all requests made from abroad to cover the extra bank fees.
Reuse of Images:
Reprinting the publication with or without modifications require a new authorization, however, they also qualify for a reduction of 40% of the normal publishing fees.
Use of an image in a poster or exhibition that has already been used for other purposes requires special authorization but also qualifies for a 50% reduction of the normal publishing fees.
Regulations and Procedures for the Requesting to Film within Museo Galileo in Florence and the Conditions to be Followed
- The date and estimated time of the filming must be scheduled with the Supervisor of Museo Galileo’s photographic laboratory at least 3 weeks in advance from the requested date.
- Any filming must be done exclusively Tuesday afternoons between 14.00 and 17.30 when Museo Galileo is closed to the general public.
- Film can only be taken of the instruments and rooms that were indicated on the request form.
- All lighting necessary for filming the instruments must be kept at a safe distance away from the instruments. This distance will be established by the museum’s staff that the Museum’s Management will have available to assist the film crew.
- Before any filming takes place a guarantee deposit of 1000,00 Euro is required. This deposit sum will be reimbursed at the end of the filming only after the overtime expenses of the museum’s staff is calculated at the rate of 150,00 Euro per hour starting at 14.00. This rate already includes the IVA tax).
- There is a 100 Euro flat fee that will cover all cleaning costs and utilities consumed during the filming.
- Museo Galileo can grant the authorization to use the film taken that has the exclusive subject of the exhibition rooms and those instruments displayed there. If during the filming any visitors and or surveillance personnel from the Museum appear in the filming then these scenes cannot be utilized without written consent of those interested parties.
- The permission is not limited to either the territorial and/or time period but refers exclusively to the use of the film taken per the specifications in the request. In the case that the Requesting party or others authorized by the Requesting party intend to reuse all or part of the film for other reasons, new authorization must be formally requested and Museo Galileo’s Management reserves the right to refuse authorization.
- The name of Museo Galileo should be clearly cited in the film credits.
- A copy of the actual film taken in this Institution should be deposited at Museo Galileo’s Library.
- In the event that the arranged time schedule needs to be postponed or cancelled by the Requesting party, this information needs to communicated to the Museum’s referring parties as soon as possible and in the event that any expenses have already been incurred by the Museum to pay for overtime of personnel, these expenses will be deducted from the deposit.
- The Requesting party will be held responsible for any damage caused during the filming. All repair fees will be deducted from the deposit. A special insurance coverage is also requested for each filming session.
Fees for Filming
Television filming fees are 150,00 € per hour (IVA tax included) + 100,00 € flat fee.
For filming requests and photographic reproductions please read our regulations and fees.
To start the procedure send the filled and signed request form via e-mail or fax.
Fax: +39 055 2653130Forms