The Florence Royal Museum of physics and natural history was founded on the initiative of Grand Duke Pietro Leopoldo and was opened to the public in 1775. The documentation covers a span of almost a century (1780-1872) and is the principal source for reconstructing the history of that institution in all its aspects, including its relations with the main European science centers.
The collection is entirely catalogued and the database consists of about 5,700 records. The files of the series "Affari" are very accurately described in order to facilitate research on persons, organizations, scientific instruments, places, buildings and other subjects.
search the Royal Museum archive
Related Resources (PDF)